Report from Dan Pacheco’s #JournovationTour in New York City

I just returned from a fast-paced tour of startups and journalists in New York City that are each shaking up the world of journalism in their own ways. I live-tweeted whenever possible using the hashtag #JournovationTour, and also took notes as I went along. This is a report from that trip.

Just for fun I wrote this in Spundge Pro, one of the startups I met along the way that I’m now evaluating for future use by students at the S.I Newhouse school. I just finished my first year as the Newhouse Chair of Journalism Innovation and will be co-teaching the class that feeds into the award-winning student-produced Newshouse site started by Jon Glass.

The five stops on my tour were:

• The New York Times, with the team that created Snow Fall.
  • Marquee, a spunky little startup that powers the storytelling engine for Narrative.ly, now on Time’s 50 Best Websites list.
  • Twitter, which recently hired Mark S. Luckie as an evangelist and trainer of journalists via Twitterfornews.
  • Kickstarter, which as become a new way for journalists and media projects to get new projects and even companies funded.
  • Spundge, a hybrid blog search, RSS reader, social media curator and publishing tool.

I realized going in that this was a broad and varied group of subjects, but that was also the point. I wanted to talk to a variety of people in organizations big and small to show students of journalism how their field is being shaped from all corners — not just the legacy organizations, but also from startups. And if my small sampling from New York City is any indication, there’s plenty of change, disruption and opportunity ahead for journalists.

My colleague, multimedia journalist and Professor Corey Takahashi, came long to some of the meetings and saw a couple common threads:

Journovation Chair Dan Pacheco in front of the unmarked Kickstarter office door.

I will agree with that, and also add that journalists in larger organizations are trying to get out of each others’ way, and to remove artificial barriers to collaboration.

Over the coming days I will be publishing each stop as its own article, then link them all together as one package. Start by reading my report from stop 1 at The New York Times.

Looking ahead, this is what I hope to be just the first part of a multi-city tour that I take through this summer, with other locations including Washington, D.C. and possibly Chicago. Want to meet me on the next leg of the tour? Let me know via @pachecod or @JournovationSU on Twitter or fill out our contact form.

Professor Pacheco in the Press

2016 Mirror Awards Ceremony - YouTube

Comments:

• Nonny de la Peña had this to say about Professor Pacheco after her acceptance of an I-3 Mirror Award.

“Once the [Oculus] Facebook sale happened, $2 billion dollars, you’re not so nuts. But before that happened, a lot of people thought trying to do journalism in virtual reality was crazy...

Students, Faculty to Create Content for HoloLens Augmented Reality Headset

Comments:

• Prof. Dan Pacheco has been accepted into the HoloLens developer program and will work with Newhouse students and faculty to create content for the device. - Dan Pacheco

Tags:

Immersive journalism: What virtual reality means for the future of storytelling and empathy-casting - TechRepublic

Comments:

• Prof. Pacheco was interviewed by CBS Interactive's TechRepublic about using virtuality for journalism in the story: "Immersive journalism: What virtual reality means for the future of storytelling and empathy-casting." The piece also referenced Pacheco's Virtual Reality Storytelling course and included a link to a 360 video of the SU football team by class member and football player Eric Jackson...

http://storynext.gannett.com/state-of-vr.pdf

Comments:

• Prof. Pacheco co-authored the primer on virtual reality in this report on The State of Virtual Reality in Journalism for Gannett and the Knight Foundation. - Dan Pacheco

Tags:

Daily Orange: Universities should embrace experiential media courses

Comments:

• "There’s a virtual reality course being taught this semester in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications called Virtual Reality Storytelling. (Full disclosure: I am taking the course right now. It’s awesome.) The course’s professor, Dan Pacheco, says demand for the course is high, and for good reason in that it may set you apart in a job interview...

StoryNEXT conference features virtual reality – Hypergrid Business

Comments:

• Professor Pacheco has been added to the advisory board for StoryNEXT, a new annual conference focused on innovators in virtual reality storytelling. - Dan Pacheco

Tags:

Recent Breakthroughs In Virtual Reality Go Beyond Simply Playing Video Games | ThinkProgress

Comments:

• "“The more difficult and complicated the subject, the more we seem to want to close the news app and open up Candy Crush,” said Daniel Pacheco, a journalism professor at Syracuse University who specializes in VR storytelling. “VR can counteract this tendency because of its ability make you feel physically present somewhere and to comprehend information by exploring it in an almost physical way...

The Des Moines Register wins Murrow award for Harvest of Change VR Project

Comments:

• The Des Moines Register's Harvest of Change, which was the first project to incorporate virtual reality in a commercial news setting, has won a prestigious Edward R. Murrow award. This emerged from Professor Dan Pacheco working as an innovator in residence at Gannett Digital, where he brought an Oculus Rift and knowledge of how to create VR experiences in Unity...

HoloLens Brings 3D Media Into the Physical World

Comments:

• Professor Pacheco reports on his experience with an extended HoloLens demo at the E3 conference and provides ideas on how it could be used in journalism and media. - Dan Pacheco

Tags:

"All the President's Avatars"

Comments:

• Professor Pacheco is interviewed by a Swedish tech magazine about virtual reality journalism. - Dan Pacheco

Tags:

Adobe Adds Mixamo 3D Animation Service To Creative Cloud Mix | TechCrunch

Comments:

• "Students in Pacheco’s VR Storytelling course (http://vrstorytelling.org), most of whom have no 3D modeling experience, use Mixamo to easily and inexpensively add interactive characters to scenes that are viewed in Oculus Rift virtual reality headsets" -

Welcome to the Washing Machine

Comments:

• Prof. Pacheco predicts the future media-disrupting technologies for CommPRObiz: "Part of my job as the Peter Horvitz Chair in Journalism Innovation is to look on the horizon and identify trends that might lead the next waves of disruption. I also challenge my students to do field tests of disruptive technologies, then use what they learn to predict where things will be in another 5 years...

Our list of the best 11 journalism experiments

Comments:

• Columbia Journalism Review just listed the "Harvest of Change” virtual reality journalism project that Professor Pacheco co-produced at Gannett as one of 11 noteworthy journalism experiments today. BDJ senior, now graduated, also contributed as a developer. -

Virtual Reality Storytelling - From Screen to Beam : Documentary Campus e.V.

Comments:

• Creating Your First VR Experience
      Practical tips for getting started in VR using freely available software and 3D assets. Prof. Dan Pacheco will draw upon material from his Virtual Reality Storytelling class at the S.I. Newhouse School to provide practical steps for creating interactive scenes in Unity3D that can be exported for web and the Oculus Rift...

Virtual Reality Lets the Audience Step into the Story - Nieman Storyboard

Comments:

• "Immersive journalism is picking up now in part because the necessary technology has gotten better, cheaper, and more portable. The smartphone’s ability to stream high-definition video as well as its increasing popularity—58% of Americans had one as of January 2014, according to Pew Research—have further accelerated adoption...