About Brian Moritz

Brian Moritz
Editor, Journovation Journal
Research assistant, Peter A. Horvitz Endowed Chair for Journalism Innovation
Doctoral student, S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications

I’m a former sports reporter who walked away from my beat to find out why newspapers are struggling, what they can do about it and how the Internet is changing the way the media does business.

Along with my duties as the Journovation Journal Editor, and as a research assistant for the Peter A. Horvitz Endowed Chair for Journalism Innovation, I’m a second-year doctoral student at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University. My research focuses on journalists’ routines and how they are evolving. My research also focuses on media sociology and sports media and communications. I’ve presented my research at regional and national AEJMC conferences, as well as the Summit on Communication and Sport.

Before turning to school in 2009, I spent 10 years as a newspaper sports reporter. I worked for the Press & Sun-Bulletin (Binghamton, N.Y.) and The Times Herald (Olean, N.Y.). I’ve written for The Boston Globe, The Boston Herald, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and the Baltimore Sun, among others. I’ve covered college basketball, minor-league baseball, the NCAA Tournament, the NHL playoffs, and the NFL, NBA and MLB. I voted in the AP men’s basketball Top 25 and broke coverage of the 2003 St. Bonaventure men’s basketball recruiting scandal, for which I won top-10 in the nation in the APSE national writing contest. I also won several writing awards in the New York State Associated Press Association state contest.

Professor Pacheco in the Press

2016 Mirror Awards Ceremony - YouTube

Comments:

• Nonny de la Peña had this to say about Professor Pacheco after her acceptance of an I-3 Mirror Award.

“Once the [Oculus] Facebook sale happened, $2 billion dollars, you’re not so nuts. But before that happened, a lot of people thought trying to do journalism in virtual reality was crazy...

Students, Faculty to Create Content for HoloLens Augmented Reality Headset

Comments:

• Prof. Dan Pacheco has been accepted into the HoloLens developer program and will work with Newhouse students and faculty to create content for the device. - Dan Pacheco

Tags:

Immersive journalism: What virtual reality means for the future of storytelling and empathy-casting - TechRepublic

Comments:

• Prof. Pacheco was interviewed by CBS Interactive's TechRepublic about using virtuality for journalism in the story: "Immersive journalism: What virtual reality means for the future of storytelling and empathy-casting." The piece also referenced Pacheco's Virtual Reality Storytelling course and included a link to a 360 video of the SU football team by class member and football player Eric Jackson...

http://storynext.gannett.com/state-of-vr.pdf

Comments:

• Prof. Pacheco co-authored the primer on virtual reality in this report on The State of Virtual Reality in Journalism for Gannett and the Knight Foundation. - Dan Pacheco

Tags:

Daily Orange: Universities should embrace experiential media courses

Comments:

• "There’s a virtual reality course being taught this semester in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications called Virtual Reality Storytelling. (Full disclosure: I am taking the course right now. It’s awesome.) The course’s professor, Dan Pacheco, says demand for the course is high, and for good reason in that it may set you apart in a job interview...

StoryNEXT conference features virtual reality – Hypergrid Business

Comments:

• Professor Pacheco has been added to the advisory board for StoryNEXT, a new annual conference focused on innovators in virtual reality storytelling. - Dan Pacheco

Tags:

Recent Breakthroughs In Virtual Reality Go Beyond Simply Playing Video Games | ThinkProgress

Comments:

• "“The more difficult and complicated the subject, the more we seem to want to close the news app and open up Candy Crush,” said Daniel Pacheco, a journalism professor at Syracuse University who specializes in VR storytelling. “VR can counteract this tendency because of its ability make you feel physically present somewhere and to comprehend information by exploring it in an almost physical way...

The Des Moines Register wins Murrow award for Harvest of Change VR Project

Comments:

• The Des Moines Register's Harvest of Change, which was the first project to incorporate virtual reality in a commercial news setting, has won a prestigious Edward R. Murrow award. This emerged from Professor Dan Pacheco working as an innovator in residence at Gannett Digital, where he brought an Oculus Rift and knowledge of how to create VR experiences in Unity...

HoloLens Brings 3D Media Into the Physical World

Comments:

• Professor Pacheco reports on his experience with an extended HoloLens demo at the E3 conference and provides ideas on how it could be used in journalism and media. - Dan Pacheco

Tags:

"All the President's Avatars"

Comments:

• Professor Pacheco is interviewed by a Swedish tech magazine about virtual reality journalism. - Dan Pacheco

Tags:

Adobe Adds Mixamo 3D Animation Service To Creative Cloud Mix | TechCrunch

Comments:

• "Students in Pacheco’s VR Storytelling course (http://vrstorytelling.org), most of whom have no 3D modeling experience, use Mixamo to easily and inexpensively add interactive characters to scenes that are viewed in Oculus Rift virtual reality headsets" -